Yes, I really hate UNIX. Didn't used to feel that way, back in the 70's. The
last straw came in 1983. We bought the source from AT&T -- all the comments had
been stripped out!
Meanwhile, look for me filling up right in
face at the ARCO station on San Antonio in
Mountain View, California.
- Visit the
Unix Haters' Handbook
- Read the shocking but true
History of UNIX
(originally from rec.humor.funny)
Mersenne Prime Numbers
Every few years somebody discovers a new "World's Largest Prime Number", monsters with
thousands of digits. These record holders are usually of a special form first
described by the Jesuit-educated, 17th century French Minim monk Marin Mersenne.
In 1988, Walt Colquitt and I found the 29th Mersenne Prime. I've set up a page
on Marin Mersenne and Mersenne Primes.
The Moscow Circus's Flying Cranes While in Reno, I saw
the most amazing flying trapeze act. It was a thing of beauty. I am in the process of
doing a web page about the. Please visit, and check back soon as I have more material to include.
I'm extremely particular as to my tastes in
Learn about Kraftwerk and Orbital. While you're
there, be sure to visit my
Die Wildecker Herzbuben
page. Like Howlin' Wolf used to sing, I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed.
Babe Expert, Chester Lee
So, Chester Lee knows babes, does he? Hah! Chester spent too much time on
the wrong campus. A mis-spent youth. This
is what college is all about.
Every year my nephew and I take a trip, usually around California. He likes
to "go exploring". We explored
Clam Beach in 1996.
I prefer the term
I dislike the phrase
It is cleaner to say
2K1, A Space Odyssey?
Links worth following to people I know, organizations I work with,
or places I've been.
- gordoni is a remarkable fellow. Trust me -- read his
A Penny for my Thoughts? (especially his hilarious
our web site),
his machine's home page.
- Norman is a friend. I call him when I need help with an app or
with HTML (Has Too Many Links).
He now has a real job at Systems Chemistry who immediately sent
him to Singapore for 8 weeks.
- Jim has no web presence, but he does have a
Huh? He is of Swedish ancestry, related to old Albert Norling who also had no
common sense. In Västerås,
Albert is remembered for having driven his tractor over (and through) thin ice.
ABB Atom Nuclear Products
- ABB-Atom, in Sweden, designs and builds nuclear reactors. They also
manufacture nuclear fuel, which is where I come in. I design (and program)
inspection equipment that looks for manufacturing defects in nuclear fuel rods.
- Leipzig is in the former East Germany. I was there in October 1991,
immediately after the reunification. Then the whole city was gray.
Now it is alive and colorful.
- Salamanca is an ancient city is western Spain. The university there was
founded in 1264. There are tens of thousands of students and is the perfect
place for young tourists to visit.
There is also an
where you can eat a snack, drink beer, and surf the net.
Links to the Bodaciously Cool Laurel & Hardy
Laurel & Hardy!
- Steve Ramsey has set up some very fine pages in tribute to The Boys.
There is also a nice collection of audio and image files ready to grab.
The Laurel and Hardy Museum
- The museum is in the UK. Read about Stephen Harrison's Great Adventure there.
Sons of the Desert
- One Good Turn tent, Oasis 156.
- Way Out West tent, Oasis 5.
- History of the Laughing Gravy Birmgingham .uk tent, Oasis 167. Laughing Gravy .au/.nz tent, Oasis 31.
- Perfect Day .nl tent, Oasis 13.
- Midnight Patrol tent, Oasis 57.
A Tribute to Laurel & Hardy
- Finally, Steve Mazoki has a some nice pages, including a link to
CUCKOO.WAV - their theme song.
Morons From Space, the Pakleds
- Robert York is smart. He looks for things, things for
him to post. Sound clips and images of Pakleds. He is smart. Do not try to
fool him. He can tell. He is smart.
The Samaritan Snare
An excellent review of the STTNG episode, cast members, a couple of images, etc.
BTW, the Pakleds look for things. Did you know that they found Data's evil brother
Lore floating in space?
We are far from home
- The Pakled Captain's name is 'Grebnedlog' (Goldenberg), played by the late
- The Pakled Engineer's name is 'Reginnod' (Donniger) played by
Morris. Is everything an anagram? Their ship was the
Mondor. What's that? D'Moron?
Is Pakled an anagram?
Extinct Link :-( http://www.pcgamesmag.com/startalk/star696.html
There's an interactive STTNG game on CD ROM. PC Games Magazine interviewed
Robert O'Reilly who plays Gowron. Evidently the Pakleds have roles in the
http://www.scruznet.com/~luke -- Revised: 6 June 1997
Page by Luke Welsh